Gold, Silver Prices Reach for Resistance
- Gold / Silver prices testing near-term resistance- updated targets / invalidation levels
- Check out our 2Q Gold projections in our the DailyFX Trading Forecasts.
- Join Michael for Live Weekly Strategy Webinars on Mondays at 12:30GMT
Technical Outlook:Gold prices rebounded off a key support zone noted earlier this month with the rally now approaching near-term resistance at the confluence of the monthly open and the upper median-line parallel extending off yearly high at ~1267/70. Note that daily momentum has also continued to struggle below the 60-threshold and IF this rebound is corrective, should cap the near-term rally.
Bottom line: the immediate advance is vulnerable below this threshold and we’ll be on the lookout for a possible exhaustion pullback. Ultimately the trade remains constructive while above 1241 with a breach here targeting more significant resistance into 1278 (breakout level).
- A summary of IG Client Sentimentshows traders are net-long Gold - the ratio stands at +3.2 (76.2% of traders are long)- bearishreading
- Long positions are 2.7% higher than yesterday but 7.2% lower from last week
- Short positions are 1.8% higher than yesterday and a full 40.1% higher from last week
- Despite the fact that sentiment continues to point lower, the marked increase in short exposure highlights the breakout potential here- especially as prices approach key near-term structural resistance. That said, we’ll be on the lookout for near-term exhaustion up here with the immediate long-bias at risk heading into monthly open at 1267/70.
See how shifts in Gold retail positioning are effecting market trend- Click here to learn more about IG Client Sentiment indicators!
Technical Outlook: Silver has already cleared its monthly open with the rally now extending into the 50% retracement of the April decline at 17.36. Note that these divergences (silver taking out its monthly high while gold holds) are often times warning signs of near-term exhaustion. That said, again here the immediate long-bias is at risk while below his threshold but the broader focus remains weighted to the topside while above 16.85. A breach higher targets the 200-day moving average backed closely by confluence resistance into the 61.8% retracement at 17.66.
- A summary of IG Client Sentiment shows traders are net-long Silver- the ratio stands at +8.86 (89.9% of traders are long)- bearish reading
- Long positions are 1.4% lower than yesterday and 9.4% lower from last week
- Short positions are 9.4% lower than yesterday but 0.8% higher from last week
- Retail has been long silver for some time now but it’s worth noting that this recent pullback from extremes in sentiment was accompanied by a strong push higher in price. That said, look for a further reduction in net-long positioning to offer further conviction on a breakout above 17.36.
Other Setups in Play:
- Kiwi Flies Towards Resistance
- USD/MXN: Wall of Resistance Holds, Now What?
- Crude Oil Prices Target Resistance Ahead of OPEC
- EUR/USD Stretches to Fresh Yearly Highs- Levels to Know From Here
- AUD/USD Into Resistance – 7500 in Focus
- Written by Michael Boutros, Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Follow Michael on Twitter @MBForex contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org or Click Here to be added to his email distribution list.
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.