- Silver prices pullback from key resistance- broader outlook constructive above 17.50
- Updated targets & invalidation levels
- Check out our NEW DailyFX 2Q Trading Guides. Join Michael for Live Weekly Strategy Webinars on Mondays at 13:30GMT
Technical Outlook:Silver prices have continued to trade within the confines of an impressive, well-defined ascending pitchfork formation extending off the November / December lows. The precious metal failed to hold above key resistance this week on building bearish divergence at 18.33/37 – a region defined by the 50% retracement of the July decline & the 100% extension of the ascent off the December lows. The pullback is now testing a key near-term support just below the 18-handle where the 200-day moving average converges on the 50-line of the ascending slope formation.
Notes: A closer look at price action highlights this near-term slope convergence and heading into the close of Europe the risk remains for a near-term rebound off this mark. That said, the broader focus remains weighted to the topside while above 17.51 with a breach / close above 18.37 needed to validate resumption of the uptrend. Subsequent topside objectives are eyed at 18.58, the 50-line (currently ~18.80) & the 61.8% retracement at 19.03.
- A summary of IG Client Sentiment shows traders are net-long Silver- the ratio stands at +4.78 (82.7% of traders are long)- bearish reading
- Long positions are 0.5% lower than yesterday but 0.8% higher from last week
- Short positions are 7.5% lower than yesterday and 17.9% lower from last week
- Broader sentiment continues to point lower with the recent drawdown in short-positioning further highlighting the short-bias. From a trading standpoint, silver prices are approaching support & while our focus is lower, I’d be looking for a near-term rebound before attempting entry.
What does retail trader positioning hint about the Silver trend? Learn how Sentiment can help your trading in this free guide!
Other Setups in Play:
- NZD/USD Rebound Vulnerable Ahead of New Zealand CPI
- EUR/NZD Into Resistance- Pullback to Offer Entries
- EUR/USD Rallies to ‘Decision Point’
- GBP/AUD Range Break to Determine Next Leg- Constructive Above 1.62
- Strategy Webinar: Technical Levels amid the Geopolitical Minefield
- Written by Michael Boutros, Currency Strategist with DailyFX