AUD/USD: RBA Game Plan & Levels to Know
- AUD/USD opening range in focus ahead of RBA- risk lower sub-7650
- Updated targets & invalidation levels
- Looking for more trade ideas? Review DailyFX’s 2017 Trading Guides. Join Michael for Live Weekly Trading Webinars on Mondays at 13:30GMT (8:30ET)
Technical Outlook:Aussie has been trading within the confines of a descending channel formation extending off the March highs and heading into tonight’s Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) interest rate decision the broader focus remains lower while within this formation. From a trading standpoint, ultimately I’m looking for a new low to fade early in the week.
Initial resistance stands at 7622 with bearish invalidation at 7649. A breach above this level would shift the focus higher for the Aussie targeting 7687. Interim support rests with the 61.8% retracement at 7590 with a break lower targeting confluence support at 7540/47(area of interest for exhaustion / long-entries)- a break below this threshold would risk substantial losses for the pair with such a scenario eyeing subsequent support targets at 7490 & 7450.
- A summary of the DailyFX Speculative Sentiment Index (SSI) shows traders are net-short AUDUSD- the ratio stands at -1.55 (39.2% of traders are long)- weak bullish reading
- Traders have been net-short since January 9th when Aussie was trading near 7189- Since then, the pair has rallied 6.6% higher
- Long positions are 17.9% higher than yesterday and 31.6% higher from last week
- Short positions are 4.5% higher than yesterday but 3.9% lower from last week
- While SSI continues to point higher, it’s worth noting that the recent build in long positioning continues to highlight the risk for further losses in the near-term – look for post-RBA price reaction / a break of the weekly opening range to offer further guidance.
Relevant Data Releases
Other Setups in Play:
- Webinar: Setups We’re Tracking into the Monthly / Quarterly Open
- EUR/USD: Down But Not Yet Out
- Cable Faces Brexit Showdown with Theresa May- Brexit Levels to Know
- Strategy Webinar: Stocks Feel the Burn as Trump Healthcare Folds
- Written by Michael Boutros, Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Follow Michael on Twitter @MBForex contact him at email@example.com or Click Here to be added to his email distribution list.
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.