NZD/USD: FOMC to Fuel Critical Range-Break
- Kiwi caught in key near-term range ahead of FOMC- Breakout to offer opportunity
- Updated targets & invalidation levels
- Looking for more trade ideas? Review DailyFX’s 2017 Trading Guides. Join Michael for Live Weekly Trading Webinars on Mondays at 13:30GMT (8:30ET)
Technical Outlook:Kiwi has been trading within the confines of a well-defined descending pitchfork formation off the 2016/2017 highs with near-term price action trapped in a technical range between 6861-6972. I’ll be looking for a break of this range heading into tomorrow’s highly anticipated FOMC interest rate decision with our broader focus weighted to the downside while below the 50-line / October lows at 7035 (bearish invalidation). A break of support risks a drop into the lower parallel (red), backed by the 100% extension at 6752 & the 61.8% retracement at 6714 (key support).
Notes: A closer look at price action shows kiwi carving out its weekly opening-rang just below key near-term resistance at 6952/72. Note that the pair marked divergence into last week’s lows and we can’t rule out a relief rally off confluence support before resuming lower.
My gut says we’ll probably see some upside from here but from a trading standpoint I’ll favor fading strength sub-7036/45. A downside break targets subsequent support objectives into the lower parallels - a decline into the 67-region would offer an area of interest for possible exhaustion / long-entries. Keep in mind the focus tomorrow will be on the path of future rate hikes with the markets currently pricing three hikes this year. Look to the updated quarterly projections and interest rate dot plot to drive USD price action.
Relevant Data Releases
Other Setups in Play:
- EUR/CAD Pullback to be Viewed as Opportunity
- Strategy Webinar: USD, EUR Crosses in Focus as Markets Await Yellen
- Crude Prices Eye Initial Support Following Break of 2017 Range
- EUR/USD: Post-ECB Recovery to Face U.S. NFP
- Nikkei 225 Battle Lines Drawn- Key Levels to Know
- Written by Michael Boutros, Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Follow Michael on Twitter @MBForex contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org or Click Here to be added to his email distribution list.
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.