EUR/USD Eyes 1.0580 Support Ahead of 4Q GDP
- EURUSD reversal looks to US GDP- Immediate focus lower sub-1.0730
- Updated targets & invalidation levels
- Looking for more trade ideas? Review DailyFX’s 2017 Trading Guides. Join Michael for Live Weekly Trading Webinars on Mondays at 13:30GMT (8:30ET)
Technical Outlook: Euro reversed off parallel resistance extending off the December high this week- Note that the slope of this trendline originates from the broader descending median-line formation extending off the 2016 highs. A hold in daily RSI sub-60 also highlights the threat to the advance off the monthly lows.
Notes: A closer look at price action shows Euro trading within the confines of a near-term ascending pitchfork formation extending off the December lows. Note that the break below the median-line / weekly open shifts the near-term focus lower with the decline already taking out initial targets at 1.0672. Subsequent support objectives at the 50-line (currently ~1.0650), the 38.2% retracement at 1.0609 & the lower parallel at 1.0580- area of interest for possible exhaustion / long-entries.
Consensus estimates are calling for a 2.2% q/q clip for US 4Q GDP, down from a previous read of 3.5%. Even though tomorrow’s release is expected to highlight a slowdown in both growth & inflation, the data is unlikely to move the needle as it pertains to monetary policy with Fed Fund Futures still pricing in a 74% probably for an interest rate hike in June. That said, from a trading standpoint, heading into the release I would be looking to fade strength while below the monthly / yearly high-day close at 1.0730 with a move lower targeting downside objectives into structural support.
- A summary of the DailyFX Speculative Sentiment Index (SSI) shows traders are short EUR/USD - the ratio stands at -1.22 (45% of traders are long)- weak bullish reading
- Long positions are 21.2% higher than yesterday and 10.8% above levels seen last week
- Short positions are 14.4% lower than yesterday but 12.9% above levels seen last week
- Open interest is 1.3% lower than yesterday but remains 12.6% above its monthly average
- The current dynamic of building long interest highlights the risk of further near-term weakness in price as the ratio continues to narrow from recent extremes of -1.77. Look for a flip to net long in the coming days to suggest that a more significant reversal is underway.
Relevant Data Releases
Looking for trade ideas? Review DailyFX’s 2017 1Q Projections
Other Setups in Play:
- NZD/USD Rally Vulnerable Ahead of 7300- New Zealand CPI on Tap
- AUD/USD Risks Exhaustion on Record Low Core Inflation
- AUD/JPY Reversal Targeting Initial Support Hurdle
- Webinar: Markets on Edge as Trump Assumes Office- USD Under Review
---Written by Michael Boutros, Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Follow Michaelon Twitter @MBForex contact him at email@example.com or Click Here to be added to his email distribution list.
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.