AUD/USD Breakdown to Turn or Burn on Aussie Employment, US CPI
- AUDUSD at support- broader focus is lower heading into key AU, US data
- Updated targets & invalidation levels
- Looking for trade ideas? Review DailyFX’s 2016 4Q Projections
Technical Outlook: Aussie has continued to trade within the confines of a descending median-line formation dating back to the October high with the decline breaking below key long-term structural support extending off the January low in overnight trade.
The exchange rate responded to confluence support today at 7462 – a level defined by the 50% retracement of the May advance and the lower parallel. Heading into tonight’s Australia employment report and subsequent US CPI release, the risk remains lower sub-7558 with a break lower targeting subsequent support objectives at 7420 and the 61.8% retracement at 7387.
A breach above the median-line / monthly open at 7608 would be needed to shift the broader focus higher in AUDUSD. From a trading standpoint, while we could see some upside off this support zone, I would be looking to fade strength / short-entries on a rally into structural resistance near the weekly open at 7525/44.
- A summary of the DailyFX Speculative Sentiment Index (SSI) shows traders are net long AUD/USD- the ration stands at +1.93 (66% of traders are long)- bearish reading
- Long positions are 14.7% higher than yesterday and 72.1% above levels seen last week.
- Short positions are 8.4% lower than yesterday and 14% below levels seen last week.
- Open interest is 5.6% higher than yesterday and 1.1% above its monthly average.
- The current increase in long-positioning on building open interest suggests that retail crowds are attempting fade this decline, leaving the risk for further losses near-term. That said, it’s important to keep in mind the last time SSI extended into these levels was back in back in September as the exchange rate bottomed – (that low still holds). Look for an increase in short-exposure as price approaches support for indications that the decline may be reaching near-term exhaustion.
Relevant Data Releases
Other Setups in Play:
- EUR/GBP Eyeing Support Targets Ahead of UK Jobless Claims
- Webinar: USD 'Trump Bump' Targeting 13yr Highs- Key Fed Speak on Tap
- Gold Prices Plummet 6% as Trump Win Fuels Risk
- DXY, USD/JPY Rallies Eyeing Resistance Ahead of U. of Michigan
- Volatility Isn't Over Yet - NZD/USD Braces for RBNZ Rate Cut
---Written by Michael Boutros, Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Join Michael for Live Weekly Trading Webinars on Mondays on DailyFX at 13:30 GMT (8:30ET)
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.