Volatility Isn't Over Yet - NZD/USD Braces for RBNZ Rate Cut
- NZD/USD at near-term support heading into RBNZ rate decision
- Immediate risk is lower sub-7380
- Updated targets & invalidation levels
Chart Created Using TradingView
Technical Outlook: Kiwi reversed off confluence resistance last night at 7389- a region defined by the 78.6% retracement of the September decline and the median-line extending off the October low. Heading into the Reserve Bank of New Zealand (RBNZ) interest rate decision, the near-term risk remains for a deeper correction off this mark with a break below 7262 shifting the focus towards subsequent support targets at 7219 & confluence support into 7175- both areas of interest for near-term exhaustion / long-entries.
Keep in mind the central bank is widely expected to cut interest rates by 25 basis points to a record 1.75%. From a trading standpoint, heading into the release I would be looking to fade strength while below the median-line with interim resistance now eye at 7340/46. A breach of the highs invalidates the ‘pull-back’ play with such a scenario targeting the 2016 high-day close at 7450 & 7480/82. Click here for a preview of the RBNZ rate decision.
- A summary of the DailyFX Speculative Sentiment Index (SSI) shows traders are net long NZDUSD- the ratio stands at -2.12 (32% of traders are long)- bullish reading
- Long positions are 17.2% below levels seen last week while short positions are 10.5% lower over the same time period.
- Open interest is 19.4% lower than yesterday and 17.0% below its monthly average.
- The recent drop-off in open positioning weakens the strength of the bullish SSI reading and heading into the release, the risk remains for a deeper pullback before mounting a more meaningful counter-offensive
Relevant Data Releases This Week
Other Setups in Play:
- Election Roadmap for USD/CAD, NZD/USD, USD/JPY & Gold
- AUD/NZD at Key Inflection Point Ahead of RBNZ
- Webinar: Gaps Galore as All Eyes Fall on U.S. Elections
- Gold Prices Brace for Volatility as Election Day Looms
Looking for more trade ideas? Review DailyFX’s Top Trading Opportunity of 2016
---Written by Michael Boutros, Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Join Michael for Live Weekly Trading Webinars on Mondays on DailyFX at 13:30 GMT (8:30ET)
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.