NZD/USD: Near-term Range Braces for RBNZ; Key Resistance 7450
- NZDUSD at risk ahead of RBNZ
- Updated targets & invalidation levels
Chart Created Using TradingView
Technical Outlook: Heading into the RBNZ interest rate decision shortly after the New York close, Kiwi continues to hold below former trendline support, now resistance. On whole the pair has setup a well-defined weekly opening-range and we’ll be looking for a break heading into the release.
Kiwi is now testing resistance on the back today’s FOMC policy meeting with a breach here targeting 7390 & key resistance at the 2016 high-day close at 7449. Interim support rests at 7292/96 backed by the weekly & monthly opens at 7248/56- a break below this region would be needed to shift the focus lower targeting 7218 & the 61.8% retracement at 7155. From a trading standpoint, I would be looking for near-term strength to offer favorable short entries while below the high-day close. For the complete setup and to continue tracking this trade & more throughout the week- Subscribe to SB Trade Desk.
Avoid the pitfalls of near-term trading strategies by steering clear of classic mistakes. Review these principles in the "Traits of SuccessfulTraders” series.
- A summary of the DailyFX Speculative Sentiment Index (SSI) shows traders are net shortNZDUSD- the ratio stands at -1.39 (42% of traders are long)- bullish reading
- Long positions are 7.5% above levels seen last week while short positions are 17.3note% higher over the same time period.
- Open interest is 6.7% lower than yesterday and 13.1% below its monthly average.
- Note that SSI has continued to come off extremes since the high registered earlier this month and although retail traders remains net short, the risk remains for a move lower while below key resistance.
Help fine-tune you entries, click here to learn more about the DailyFX Grid Sight Index (GSI)
Relevant Data Releases This Week
Other Setups in Play:
- USD/JPY at Risk for Major Washout as Traders Gear Up For BoJ, FOMC
- Webinar: BoJ, FOMC, RBNZ to Drive Volatility Across Global Markets
- USDCAD Rally at Risk into US CPI- 1.3080 Offers First Line of Defense
- AUD/USD to Face Employment Report- Outlook Constructive Above 0.7380
Looking for more trade ideas? Review DailyFX’s Top Trading Opportunity of 2016
---Written by Michael Boutros, Currency Strategist with DailyFX
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.