USDCAD Risks Reversal Below 1.3150 on Canadian CPI
- USDCAD rally at risk ahead of key Canada inflation data
- Updated targets & invalidation levels
- Event Risk on Tap This Week
Chart Created Using FXCM Marketscope 2.0
- USDCAD testing key resistance confluence at 1.3138/50
- Confluence support & near-term bullish invalidation 1.3060/70
- Subsequent support objective at the 100DMA ~ 1.2937
- Resistance breach targets 1.3217 & 1.3283-1.33
- Key Event Risk Ahead: Canada Consumer Price Index (CPI) tomorrow
Notes: USDCAD is trading within the confines of a well-defined ascending pitchfork off the October lows with a steeper embedded median-line formation guiding the pair over the last two days. The rally encountered key resistance today at 1.3138/50 – a region defined by the 100% extension (two equal legs up), the 50% retracement of the late-September sell-off and the September open.
The rally is at risk below this resistance zone with a break below near-term confluence support at 1.3060/70 (near-term bullish invalidation) needed to validate a turn lower. Such a scenario targets objectives at 1.3024, 1.2987 & more significant support at 1.2937/50. A breach of the highs invalidates our near-term outlook with such a scenario targeting the 61.8% retracement at 1.3217 backed by 1.618% extension at 1.3283.
A quarter of the daily average true range (ATR) yields profit targets of 28-31pips per scalp. Caution is warranted heading into Canada CPI tomorrow with the release likely to fuel added volatility in loonie crosses. Consensus estimates are calling for an uptick in the core rate of inflation to 2.2% y/y, up from a previous print of 2.1% y/y. On the back of this week’s BoC interest rate decision where the central bank cited that inflation risks were “roughly balanced,” a stronger-than-expected read could cap loonie losses in the near-term and change the break of support we’re looking for.
For updates on this scalp and more setups throughout the week subscribe to SB Trade Desk
Relevant Data Releases Next Week
Other Setups in Play:
- EURCAD Bulls Brace for ECB- Rally Vulnerable Sub 1.4955
- NZDCAD Posts Outside Day Reversal Pre-BoC; Shorts Face 8700 Hurdle
- Webinar: ECB/BoE Playbook- EUR/GBP Shorts Target Key Support Zone
- EURGBP Reverses Off Critical Resistance- Shorts Favored Sub 7386
- EURUSD Long Scalps Eye Key Resistance - Breakout Targets 1.18
---Written by Michael Boutros, Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Struggling with your strategy? Here’s the number one mistake to avoid
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.