NZDJPY Rebound Testing Resistance- Scalps Target 89.50 Inflection Zone
- NZDJPY Critical 180pip range in focus
- 89.50 key targeted resistance / bearish invalidation
- Event Risk on TapThisWeek
Chart Created Using FXCM Marketscope 2.0
- AUDJPY posts outside day candle off key support
- Key range in focus 87.70–89.50
- Breach targets 89.95 backed by the upper median-line parallel / May ORH at 91.03
- Support break targets 87.24, ML support & 86.23
- Daily RSI rebound at 40 could suggest another push higher before we turn
- Pending resistance trigger in play- break would validate the reversal play higher
- Event Risk Ahead: New Zealand Manufacturing PMI & Retail Sales Ex Inflation
Notes: NZDJPY broke out of a near-term ML formation off the highs today with the rally coming into resistance at the confluence of a broader median-line off the March/April highs & a basic 38.2% retracement of the decline at 89.50. This level is also defined by the April high-day close and more recently the 4/13 & 5/6 closes and will serve as our near-term bearish invalidation level.
Bottom line: we’ll be looking initially for a break below 88.76 (last week’s low) to put the short-bias back in play targeting 88.20 & key support into 87.70/75 (note the daily ML & the intraday 1.618% extension). Note that the pending support trigger extending off the weekly low in momentum remains in play. A breach above today’s high invalidates the short-side with such a scenario targeting 89.95-90.05, 90.60 & the upper MLP / 91.30.Caution is warranted heading into event risk this evening with Kiwi Business Manufacturing PMI & Retail Sales Ex Inflation on tap. A quarter of the daily ATR yields profit targets of 24-27 pips per scalp.
* It’s extremely important to give added consideration regarding the timing of intra-day scalps with the opening ranges on a session & hourly basis offering further clarity on intra-day biases.
Relevant Data Releases
Other Setups in Play:
- EURJPY at Risk Sub 135- Short Scalps Favored
- Scalp Webinar: EURUSD Eyes Support- May Opening Range Setups in Focus
- Scalp Webinar: USD Rebound at Risk- AUD Bulls to Face RBA
- USDCAD Breakdown Stalls at Key Support- May Opening Range in Focus
- AUDJPY Breakout Scalps Target 200 DMA Ahead of BoJ, China PMI
---Written by Michael Boutros, Currency Strategist with DailyFX
For updates on this scalp and more setups visit SB Trade Desk
Join Michael for Live Scalping Webinars on Mondays on DailyFX at 12:30 GMT (8:30ET)
Interested in learning about Fibonacci? Watch this Video
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.