NZDUSD Breakout Stalls at 7700 Resistance- Short Scalps Pending
- NZDUSD testing key resistance after breach of April opening range high
- Near-term focus against 7700
- Event Risk on TapThisWeek
Chart Created Using FXCM Marketscope 2.0
- NZDUSD advance approaches key near-term resistance 7983-7700 (bearish invalidation)
- Breach targets TL resistance extending off the October Highs backed by 7809
- Interim support at former monthly opening range high- 7629 & 7440/54 (bullish invalidation)
- Daily momentum resistance trigger break- bullish (note that 60-resistance has held since June 2014)
- Pending support trigger in play- break would be bearish
- Event Risk Ahead: US CPI & University of Michigan Sentiment Surveys on Friday and New Zealand CPI early next week
Notes:The kiwi is approaching a key resistance confluence just ahead of the 77-handle with the long scalp-bias (validated by the break of the weekly opening range) now at risk while below this region. Intraday divergence into the highs with a pending support trigger has us looking lower from here for now. Interim support 7660 backed by 7610/20 & 7567/69. Look for the break sub-7660 to open up the short-bias targeting channel support off the lows.
Bottom line: looking for short-triggers sub-7700. A breach above invalidates our near-term directional bias with such a scenario targeting resistance objectives at 7726/33 & the 2015 open 7791. A quarter of the daily ATR yields profit targets of 25-27pips per scalp. Caution is warranted heading into event risk tomorrow with the US Consumer Price Index (CPI) on tap and New Zealand CPI on the Sunday open.
* It’s extremely important to give added consideration regarding the timing of intra-day scalps with the opening ranges on a session & hourly basis offering further clarity on intra-day biases.
Relevant Data Releases
Other Setups in Play:
- USDCAD Short Scalps Face 1.2300 Hurdle Ahead of CPI
- AUDJPY Snaps 9 day Losing Streak- Long Scalps Favored Above 91.20
- Scalp Webinar: USD at Risk Post Dismal NFPs- AUDUSD to Face RBA
- USDCAD Reversal Scalps Pending Below 1.2700 Resistance
---Written by Michael Boutros, Currency Strategist with DailyFX
For updates on this scalp and more setups follow him on Twitter @MBForex
Join Michael for Live Scalping Webinars on Mondays on DailyFXat 12:30 GMT (8:30ET)
Interested in learning about Fibonacci? Watch this Video
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.