News & Analysis at your fingertips.

We use a range of cookies to give you the best possible browsing experience. By continuing to use this website, you agree to our use of cookies.
You can learn more about our cookie policy here, or by following the link at the bottom of any page on our site. See our updated Privacy Policy here.

0

Notifications

Notifications below are based on filters which can be adjusted via Economic and Webinar Calendar pages.

Live Webinar

Live Webinar Events

0

Economic Calendar

Economic Calendar Events

0
Free Trading Guides
Subscribe
Please try again
EUR/USD
Bearish
Low
High
of clients are net long.
of clients are net short.
Long Short

Note: Low and High figures are for the trading day.

Data provided by
Oil - US Crude
Bullish
Wall Street
Bearish
Gold
Bearish
GBP/USD
Bearish
Low
High
of clients are net long.
of clients are net short.
Long Short

Note: Low and High figures are for the trading day.

Data provided by
USD/JPY
Bullish
Low
High
of clients are net long.
of clients are net short.
Long Short

Note: Low and High figures are for the trading day.

Data provided by
More View more
Real Time News
  • Struggling to define key levels? Floor-Trader Pivots assist traders in identifying areas in a chart where price is likely to approach and can be used to set appropriate targets, while effectively managing risk. Learn how to use this indicator here: https://t.co/Ye4m1FMKUW https://t.co/PHK2sqB1jV
  • Top event risk for more than just the Dow and Dollar this week is the Wednesday #FOMC rate decision. What the markets expect sets the tone for how the event impacts price action. My run down of the week and Fed decision: https://www.dailyfx.com/forex/video/daily_news_report/2021/06/12/Dollar-and-SP-500-Breaks-Must-Abide-the-FOMC-Decision-This-Week.html https://t.co/Huvth4f706
  • What suits your style of trading stocks or commodities? Find out what are the differences in these two markets here: https://t.co/BnA07cMV0s https://t.co/AkE7bFRWAt
  • $GBPUSD continues to trade in ranges as volatility dwindles. UK data to play second fiddle to FOMC. Get your market update from @JMcQueenFX here: https://t.co/T0Eg4KaENB https://t.co/GMmZa5L0Il
  • Get your snapshot update of the of market open and closing times for each major trading hub around the globe here: https://t.co/BgZLFljIhZ https://t.co/wlGgQrcK3X
  • What's the difference between leading and lagging indicators? Find out from here: https://t.co/vGx8HCagF5 https://t.co/qnQ8Cx0DKv
  • Dealing with the fear of missing out – or FOMO – is a highly valuable skill for traders. Not only can FOMO have a negative emotional impact, it can cloud judgment and overshadow logic. Learn how you can control FOMO in your trading here: https://t.co/lgDf5cVYOn https://t.co/RJLpBgS43V
  • Currency exchange rates are impacted by several factors. Are different world leaders a contributing factor? Find out here: https://t.co/4jsORznRTE https://t.co/6GrWzkOouM
  • Risk management is one of the most important aspects of successful trading, but is often overlooked. What are some basic principles or risk management? Find out from @PaulRobinsonFX here: https://t.co/IsnpfJhp91 https://t.co/lIUxpfSem3
  • Looking for a new way to trade reversals? One of the most used reversal candle patterns is known as the Harami. Like most candlestick formation patterns, the Harami tells a story about sentiment in the market. Get better with trading reversals here: https://t.co/rfwUWJfbz9 https://t.co/8kBulRFd6l
Dow Jones Industrial Average Looks to Fed for Direction

Dow Jones Industrial Average Looks to Fed for Direction

Jeremy Wagner, CEWA-M, Head of Education

Talking Points

-Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA) finished the week near weekly lows

-Use Monday’s high (18,358) and low (17,994) to mark off key levels to determine the short term trend

-This is a shorter term outlook for DJIA; Download our quarterly forecast for a longer term equities forecast.

After opening last week strong, Dow Jones Industrial Average finished the week on its heels. Previously, we identified last Monday’s trading range as being a shorter term trend defining range and there is no material change to that forecast. The trading to finish the week stayed inside Monday September 12’s high and low. Clearly DJIA is consolidating after the September 9 sell off as it awaits the conclusion of Wednesday’s FOMC rate decision.

Fed Fund futures are pricing in a 20% chance of a rate hike on Wednesday. Therefore, 80% expect no hike and the surprise move is if the Fed raises rates. If for some reason, the Fed does decide to hike rates, that increase in rates would likely slam the stock market. Though a hike isn’t expected this week, the market is still leaving the door open for a rate hike by the end of 2016 as the probability for a December 2016 hike is 55%. As a result, stocks have the US presidential election and possibly a rate hike to navigate over the next couple months.

In the meantime, Monday’s trading range is critical to helping us define the next near term trend. We would be surprised to see this range break prior to Wednesday’s Fed announcement. However, when the range finally does break, look for some additional follow through in price in the direction of the break.

Dow Jones Industrial Average Looks to Fed for Direction

Therefore, a break above Monday’s high of 18,358 opens the door towards all-time highs 18,668. On the other hand, if the September 12 low of 17,994 is broken, then that means the 7 month blue trend line can no longer hold up the prices. A break below the trend line opens the door for a follow through down towards 17,000.

If you are interested in what the shorter term momentum looks like as DJIA approaches either 18,358 or 17,994, check out our GridSight Index. (Change the chart setting from “EUR/USD” to “US30” on either “m5” or “m10”.)

Learn how leverage affects profitability in risk to reward ratios affect trading results in pages 3-9 of our Traits of Successful Traders research.

Suggested Reading/Viewing: Libor a Sign of Rate Speculation, Risk Trends or Regulation?

---Written by Jeremy Wagner, Head Trading Instructor, DailyFX EDU

Follow me on Twitter at @JWagnerFXTrader .

See Jeremy’s recent articles at his Bio Page.

To receive additional articles from Jeremy via email, join Jeremy’s distribution list.

DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.

DISCLOSURES