We use a range of cookies to give you the best possible browsing experience. By continuing to use this website, you agree to our use of cookies.
You can learn more about our cookie policy here, or by following the link at the bottom of any page on our site.

Free Trading Guides
EUR/USD
Mixed
GBP/USD
Bullish
USD/JPY
Bullish
Gold
Bullish
Oil - US Crude
Bullish
Bitcoin
Mixed
More View more
Real Time News
  • #Gold prices may fall while the US Dollar gains even as economic policies championed by the Trump administration invite inflation. Get your market update from @IlyaSpivak here: https://t.co/4lHhHsby56 $XAUUSD https://t.co/vT0Qqh6gy4
  • RT @TheEconomist: The mood in corporate America is darkening https://t.co/dBrDHdUzm4
  • Japan’s Nikkei PMI Manufacturing (OCT P) Actual: 48.5 Est: N/A Previous: 48.9 #JPY
  • The $NZD has attempted to recover against its US namesake as expected but the move may be cut short as sellers reclaim the upper hand. Get your NZD/USD market update from @IlyaSpivak here: https://t.co/D0LAlHHfuf https://t.co/wBcFhnfcAI
  • Japan’s Nikkei Japan PMI Manufacturing (OCT P) Actual: 48.5 Est: N/A Previous: 48.9 #JPY
  • #USDollar Forecast: #USDBRL Breakout Opening Door to Selloff? https://www.dailyfx.com/forex/analyst_picks/todays_picks/dimitri_zabelin/2019/10/24/US-Dollar-Forecast-USDBRL-Breakout-Opening-Door-to-Selloff.html
  • $USDSGD fell Wednesday despite #Singapore Core CPI missing expectations at 0.7% y/y (SEP), down from 0.8% prior. That was the softest outcome since March 2016. Weakness in #USD as #SP500 futures rose amid US earnings likely accounted for SGD strength - https://t.co/ATsmOqQOc5 https://t.co/2ohbq68ypV
  • Heads Up:🇯🇵 JPY Nikkei Japan PMI Manufacturing (OCT P) due at 00:30 GMT (15min), Actual: N/A Expected: N/A Previous: 48.9 https://www.dailyfx.com/economic-calendar#2019-10-24
  • Heads up: Japan’s Nikkei Japan PMI Manufacturing (OCT P) is due at 0:30 GMT (15 min) Est: N/A Previous: 48.9 #JPY
  • - Swedish Krona, Norwegian Krone eye Riksbank and Norges Bank rate moves - Pair may suffer if central banks strike a worrying tone and outlook for growth - #ECB rate decision, commentary and #Brexit may also amplify Nordic volatility ⬇️ https://www.dailyfx.com/forex/market_alert/2019/10/24/Euro-NOK-SEK-Brace-for-Riksbank-ECB-and-Norges-Bank-Rate-Moves-.html
Bullish USDJPY - Short-Term Trade Idea

Bullish USDJPY - Short-Term Trade Idea

2018-08-29 13:47:00
Nick Cawley, Analyst
Share:

Check out our new Trading Guides: they’re free and have been updated for the third quarter of 2018

USDJPY Retail Trade Data show 54.7% of traders are net-long the pair.

USDJPY Breaking to the Upside

We look to go long USDJPY on a one- to three-day time frame with positive technical indicators flashing on both the daily and four-hour charts.

The daily chart shows a bullish flag formation (circled) from the August 21 low at 109.775 with a break above 111.49, the Friday August 24 high, opening the way to the July 19 high at 113.178. Downside protection is provided by the 61.8%

Fibonacci retracement at 110.88, the same level as the 20-day moving average. In addition, USDJPY trades above the 50-day ma at 111.220 and the 200-day ma at 109.228.

The length of the bull flags poll – roughly 1.75 points - would leave an upward breakout targeting around 113.25 which corresponds with the July 19 high at 113.178.

Chart: USDJPY Daily Price Chart (February – August 29, 2018)

Bullish USDJPY - Short-Term Trade Idea

On the four-hour chart the fragile resistance at 111.490 is visible which would leave the pair looking at the August 1 high at 112.158 before the previously mentioned July 19 high print. Short-term support kicks-in between 109.220 and 109.250.

Chart: USDJPY Four-Hour Price Chart (August 1 – August 29, 2018)

Bullish USDJPY - Short-Term Trade Idea

We will place a tight stop on this short-term trade and will remove 40% of the position at target 1 and the remaining 60% at target 2. We will then move our stop-loss up to our entry level.

Entry Point: 111.320 (current market price)

Target 1: 112.158 (August 1 high)

Target 2: 113.178 (July 19 high)

Stop-Loss: 110.880 (61.8% Fibonacci retracement)

--- Written by Nick Cawley, Analyst

To contact Nick, email him at nicholas.cawley@ig.com

Follow Nick on Twitter @nickcawley1

DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.

DISCLOSURES

News & Analysis at your fingertips.