Daily Observations: July 16, 2012
- AUDJPY: It appears that the pair has completed its Wave 4 rally off of the June 1 low at 74.45/50. The formation is neat considering the Wave 4 termination at 82.35/40 fell short of the Wave 1 termination at 82.48/50; this is imperative for the impulsive decline off the March highs. We now look to sell rallies for a test of the 2011 lows at 72.00/05. Near-term support comes in at 79.40/50 (former swing highs and lows) and then 78.35/50. Advances should be capped by 82.35/40; a break above this level signals a reversal and invalidates our bearish setup. Bias: bearish.
- AUDUSD: The pair has leaked lower thus far on Monday, failing once again at the 100-DMA. Near-term resistance comes in at 1.0250/55 and 1.0280/85. Support now comes in at 1.0135/55, 1.0095/1.0105, 1.0080 (former intraday swing highs), and 1.0000/05 (50-DMA). Bias: bearish.
- EURJPY: A Head and Shoulders pattern appears to be in play on the 4-hour charts, and it looks very clean – perhaps my favorite setup right now. With the Head at 101.60/70 and the Neckline at 98.55/65, the measured move is for a test of 95.60; the yearly low comes in at 95.55/60. This is ideal because it suggests a 300-pips move before finding support at the yearly low – this is very clean. I’ve moved my Stop for ½ of the position to 97.55 to lock in +100-pips in the event of a pullback. Bias: bearish.
- EURUSD: Short-term technical stress has been relieved following Friday’s rally off of the fresh yearly lows set at 1.2161. We remain bearish as the EURUSD has yet to complete its measured move from its May 1 decline, and over the coming six-weeks, we are looking for a sell-off into 1.1695-1.1875. Near-term resistance comes in at 1.2250/60 and 1.2285/90. Above that, interest lies at 1.2360/65, 1.2400, and the crucial 1.2440/80 zone (Symmetrical Triangle support). Support comes in the 1.2155/65 zone then 1.2055/60 (Bollinger Band). Bias: bearish.
- GBPUSD: Friday’s close above the 10-DMA appears to be a fluke, with the pair trading back towards it after being rejected at the 20-DMA both on Friday and today thus far. With new monthly lows set last week at 1.5390/95, we suspect the trend is lower in the near-term. A daily close above 1.5580 reverses this trend and suggests a test of the monthly high at 1.5720/25. Near-term support comes in at 1.5460/65 then 1.5390/1.5405 (monthly low, Bollinger Band). Bias: bearish.
- USDJPY: The USDJPY is working on an Inverted Head & Shoulders pattern off of the June 1 low, with the neckline coming in at 80.60/70. Only a daily close above this level will signal the commencement of this pattern. With the Head at 77.60/70, this suggests a measured move towards 83.60/70 once initiated. Near-term support comes in at 79.00/05 (200-DMA). Price action to remain range bound as long as advances are capped by 80.60/70. Bias: neutral.
--- Written by Christopher Vecchio, Currency Analyst
To contact Christopher Vecchio, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow him on Twitter at @CVecchioFX
To be added to Christopher’s e-mail distribution list, send an e-mail with subject line "Distribution List" to email@example.com
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.