Pending Long USD/CAD, Short AUD/USD and EUR/GBP
The Euro-zone summit this weekend could boost risk-appetite in the near-term, though I remain highly bearish given the significant fundamental structural issues that remain and will likely remain in place for months. Until these issues are addressed - mainly being the excess liquidity in the system that when withdrawn will likely lead to a market crash (credit is overextended and unwarranted: the natural business cycle has been disrupted) - I remain long-term bearish.
Accordingly, these trade setups are predicated on the notion that markets are winding up into a pattern similar to late 2008, on a fundamental and technical basis. Fundamentally, there is chatter about a bank recapitalization for the top 50 banks which are deemed "systemically" crucial. These European banks will be recapitalized with the European Financial Stability Fund, a vehicle that draws comparisons to the Troubled Asset Relief Program employed in the United States in late 2008. Even though banks were recapitalized, it should be noted that equity markets did not bottom until March 2009, nearly 5-months after TARP was instated. My outlook for the EFSF and markets is of the same outcome.
With that said, the trades on the table which have not been initialized but remain within their timeframes and within their bearish formations.
- Entry: Long at 1.0369 [sub-wave a of wave 4]
- Stop: Stop to 1.0234
- Target 1(Reward/Risk Ratio): 1.0657 [termination of wave 3, weekly high] (288/135, 2.13)
- Target 2: 1.0854 [projected termination of wave 5] (485/135, 3.59)
- Timeframe: 2-weeks
- Entry: Short at 0.9845 [38.2 Fibo]
- Stop: 1.0046 [23.6 Fibo] (201-pips)
- Target 1(Reward/Risk Ratio): 0.9683 [50.0 Fibo] (162/201, 0.81)
- Target 2: 0.9521 [61.8 Fibo] (324/201, 1.61)
- Target 3: 0.9386 [October low] (459/201, 2.28)
- Timeframe: 3-weeks
- Entry: Short at 0.8690 [below 20-DMA]
- Stop: 0.8794 [Double/Triple Top] (104-pips)
- Target 1 (Reward/Risk Ratio): 0.8600 (90/104, 0.87)
- Target 2: 0.8523 [76.4 Fibo] (167/104, 1.61)
- Target 3: 0.8465 [Range Bottom] (225/104, 2.16)
- Timeframe: 2-weeks
DailyFX provides forex news and technical analysis on the trends that influence the global currency markets.